After posting the last blog entry at the library, I stopped by our local home store and picked up the paints and glaze that Irwin had ordered.  Anxious to begin the project in earnest, I raced back up the mountain, ready to begin the next phase of our project: preparing and painting the fireplace wall. 

When we removed the fireplace enclosure and other décor from the wall, we realized that the wall required more TLC than originally anticipated.  So, with putty knife in hand and a mega tub of joint compound, we began to repair the wall.

 

Compounding the wall 

  

  Wall Repair Close- Up

 

 

Paint Swatch

After several hours of coating and sanding, the wall was finally ready for a first coat of paint.  Giddy with excitement and anticipation, Irwin cracked open the can of base color paint:  Benjamin Moore #2130-50 New Hope Gray.  He peeled back the cover only to reveal… WHITE paint.  Thinking that perhaps the color (like the fruit in a Dannon yogurt) was at the bottom, Irwin began to stir the paint but no color appeared.  He then closed the can and shook it, but even after a thorough aerobic workout, the paint in the can was still …WHITE.  By this time our local home store was closed and our DIY activity for the day was finished.

Colorblind we were not, so the obvious conclusion was that our friendly local store forgot to add the color to the base paint.  The following morning, Irwin returned, paint in hand, to the store where Andy, our favorite paint person, had to admit that although the can was marked correctly, color was never put into the can and he quickly corrected the problem.

Armed with the correct paint colors we began to paint the fireplace wall with the base color.  As we painted the wall, it began to take on a purple hue and Irwin & I began to think that perhaps the white paint in the can was an omen and that this was NOT the color for our wall.  Because we are trained professionals (and the trip down the mountain was far too long) we quelled our impulse to grasp the car keys and decided to wait until the paint dried before panicking.

 Waiting for 1st coat to dry

 

1st Coat dry

And this is a very important lesson to learn.  Even Irwin, with years of experience and amazing color sense can experience “color doubt”.  Like any other form of change, color sometimes requires some acclimation time.

If you experience “color doubt”, take a deep breath and wait.   As we waited for the wall to dry, our “color doubt” dissipated along with the purple hue and Irwin’s vision for the room began to emerge.  We put the car keys away and opened up the topcoat color:  Benjamin Moore #2130-40 Black pepper.  Irwin mixed four parts glaze with one part paint and applied it on top of the base color.  He then went over it with a wallpaper brush to create the striated effect and the result was incredible.

2nd Coat & striae

 

 Striated Finish 

Color is not something to fear, but rather, something to embrace; its power to affect change is enormous.  Like any source of power, color must be harnessed properly and its use tempered.

So, take the color plunge.  Try a new finish or glaze and always allow yourself some time to get used to the spectacular results.

As for our DIY project, the best is yet to come so stay tuned.

Comments
IRWIN FELD DESIGN COPYRIGHT 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  Contact Blog Owner